Sovereign Hill in Ballarat is one of the best outdoor museums you can experience. With a colourful history relating to the discovery of gold in the region back in the 1850's, you too can capture the excitement!
Travel the stage coach route of the 1850's along Western Highway to Ballarat, steeped in history with the discovery of gold. Tour through this gracious town with its exquisite gardens, noble statues and magnificent architecture. Pass by the Eureka Stockade, site of the 1854 miner's rebellion. Spend the rest of your day at Sovereign Hill where Ballarat's first 10 years after the discovery of gold in 1851 is re-created. Try your luck at gold panning in Red Gully Creek or head underground on the Red Hill mine tour. Don't forget to visit the Gold Museum too!
Highlights of this tour:
- Travel the Western Highway - stagecoach route of the 1850's
- Bacchus Marsh - a landscape of orchards - once a resting place for the Cobb & Co stagecoach
- Ballarat - enjoy a complete town tour of this gracious city with its exquisite gardens and noble statues
- Eureka Stockade - site of the 1854 Miner's Rebellion
- Visit Sovereign Hill - an authentic recreation of an 1850's gold mining town. See & experience...
- Gold panning in Red Gully Creek
- Explore the Red Hill mine tour and discover life underground
- Witness original working conditions and demonstrations of early mining equipment
- Explore the many original shops ...
- Blacksmiths and traditional craftsmen
- Visit the Gold Museum
- Perhaps try some homemade boiled lollies! Maybe a Devonshire Tea at the New York Bakery?
- The Chinese Village - highlighting Chinese involvement in the goldfields
- Why not ride a stagecoach!
- Take in the atmosphere of Main St.
- Watch the Giant Crushing Battery
- Treat yourself to lunch at the United States Hotel
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Entrance fees to Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum
- Red Hill Mine tour and free Wi-Fi on coach
- Sturdy walking shoes are recommended due to uneven and sometimes slippery terrain.
- Photographs are not allowed in the Underground Mine or at any performances at the Victoria Theatre.